Saturday, January 9, 2010

Montgomery, Alabama

Well, I just pulled in to Montgomery, AL this evening. It's Saturday night and I am supposed to report to Maxwell AFB on Monday. On a side note, I realize that I never wrote the follow up to my last post. It took a while for my uniform to be altered and the day after I picked it up I had to leave to start driving east. Anyway, I'll try to post pictures as soon as I can.

I am both excited and nervous about starting training on Monday. I am excited for the opportunities I will have and for the things I will learn. Honestly, the only thing I am nervous about is the Physical Training (PT). The PT aspect of training is based around a 4-part, 100-point test: Push-ups (10 points); sit-ups (10 points); 1.5 mile run (50 points); and a waist circumference measurement (30 points). Each part is scaled based on how many push-ups or sit-ups you do, how fast you run, and how wide you are. You have to score at least a 75 (I think) to pass. I'm not sure what happens if you don't pass, but let's hope I don't have to cross that bridge.

Originally, I had a plan that I would take the months between taking the Bar in July and starting COT to train and get my self in shape for training. Unfortunately, I am not in the kind of shape I was hoping to be in two days before I check in. I mention by way of explanation and not of excuse that the past three months have been the most emotionally difficult of my life and my training goals suffered. I just hope to pass and once we get settled down in Germany I can start getting my self in better shape for my next test that should occur in about six months.

I'm not sure how often I will be able to update this during training, but I'll do my best to post something if and when I can.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel! Fred, Nicole and I lived in Montgomery, Alambama for a whole year in 1980. I loved it there and hope you will have a memorable experience there, too.

    It's great seeing your blog again. I have been wondering how your family is doing. Glad that you are going strong!

    We sure do love you all,

    Rebecca and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess by now you must have already had your exam. Hopefully all went well. I'm excited to read more details about the training.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan!! Sweet! I hope your training is going well. I thought of you today because I may be in Europe this summer and thought I'd try to hunt you down in Germany. Keep us posted on when you guys land over there and what life is like

    Dave Alba

    ReplyDelete